Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Always a Texan

So a fellow displaced Texan posted this link to Facebook about 19 foods Texans can't live without. Umm..yes! So here's my take on them:

1. Chili - yum. Of course I like the turkey variety and NO beans please. Good thing is you can get pretty good chili in  most any state. Whew.

2. Chicken Fried Steak (or chicken for me): man I crave this often. Surely there is a place here I can find a good one. It needs some white gravy, mashed 'taters with brown gravy and fried okra to go with it! Agree with the author that the Gristmill in Gruene is the best!



3. Kolaches - I have no idea why these tiny bites of Heaven haven't made it to the East coast yet. They're missing out. Jarid refuses to go to Dunkin' Donuts because "what's the point? They don't have kolaches." ha.

4. Pecan pie - umm, it's most definitely not pronounced "Pee-can" pie. People say that?? Well this one is marked off my list b/c I don't love it. So that only makes 18 foods I can't live without (maybe I could substitute Taco Cabana in there??)

5. Homemade tamales - one of the greatest things about living in San Antonio and having friends who go home to the Valley to visit their parents is they return with homemade tamales! Bean and cheese or chicken for me please. Yum.

 
6. Sweet tea - yessssss. Give me sweet tea any day. Tea without sugar just isn't right. Bill Miller and Chick Fil A seem to excel at tea making.
 
7. Shiner Bock - I'm a light beer kinda gal but I know Jarid sure loves him some Shiner.
 
 
 
8. Whataburger - not a week goes by that I don't at least think about driving thru the Whataburger lane to get me some chicken strips with Texas toast (and gravy!), fries and Fancy Ketchup. Yes, Fancy Ketchup was meant to be capitalized. It's that good. Since I don't eat beef I don't miss the hamburgers but the strips, grilled chicken sandwich and taquitos haunt me! Thankfully the BFF sent us some of that Fancy Ketchup so we at least have that. {side note: many a memory was made at a Whataburger in the 2:30am time frame when people needs to get some sustenance before heading home}
 
9. Breakfast tacos - see #8 and #4 (Whataburger & Taco C - enough said.)
 
10. Tacos - thankfully we can get delicious tacos here in VA and they are on the menu in some form at least once a week. Like the article said when the question is asked "what should we eat" the answer is usually "tacos" round here.
 
11. Tortillas - I miss the refrigerated kind I could heat up on my skillet that tasted like homemade. Wegman's needs to start selling those here - stat!
 
12. Ranch dressing - best for salads and wings in my humble opinion but yes, lots of folks dip their pizza in it (weirdos!)
 
13. Dr. Pepper - when I ask for a "coke" at a restaurant I mean "dr. pepper." The only reason I don't buy this delicious goodness at my house is because I'd drink 3 by lunch time. Some things are just better not in my house.
 
 
 
14. Texas BBQ - *sigh* we're still looking for a good BBQ place here. Anyone want to send us some??
 
15. Chips and queso - one of the greatest inventions ever created. Yes, we can make it with velvetta and a can of rotel but it's just not the same as Chuy's.
 
16. Julio's chips and sauce - thanks to my college roommate and friend Kelly for introducing me to these salty delights. Most trips back to Houston I'd have bags of these for my dad and brothers. They were harder to find in Dallas so I've been suffering along without them for some time now...(and HEB *sniffle, sniffle*)
 
17.  Chips and salsa - a restaurant's quality can be determined by their chips and salsa and margaritas. Make those things well and I'm a customer for life!
 
18. Blue Bell - the best ice cream in the country. Seriously. That's their motto for a reason. I hear you can get it here (from another transplanted Texan) but have yet to find it. If I did I guess all those calories I'm burning breastfeeding the baby would go straight to that gallon though.
 
19. Margaritas - the other love of my life. Sugar on the rim for a strawberry marg or salt for a lime one. Brings me right back to my happy place every time! Even better if there is a Corona sticking out of it!
 


 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment