Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Cranio what?

Last month our pediatrician referred us to a neurosurgeon for Peyton because his head looked "elongated." She didn't give much info - I think she was trying to not freak me out - beyond they'd set up the appointment and call me with the time/date. I had no idea what questions to ask so naturally when I got home I went to the best source - Dr. Google. Well a few scary searches later we figured out the pedi thought Peyton may have Craniosynostosis. A word I was most definitely not familar with and honestly didn't want to be. Basically it's when a baby's head bones fuse too prematurely. It's considered a "birth defect" and it's cause isn't exactly known (might be genetic, placement in womb, ect all play a part.)

So last week Kerry watched Morgan and Owen and Jarid and I took P to the neurosurgeon. Words I never thought I'd utter. He took one look at him (in his very serious, super smart, neurosurgeon way) and said "why are you here??" I didn't even mind that he seemed to think we were crazy for seeing him because it meant P does NOT have craniosynostosis. Whew. Huge relief. I'm very grateful for our pediatrician though for knowing when to refer us out for another opinion. Even if it meant two weeks of worrying, googling, worrying.

Here's the precious guy now, who just apparently has a big head :)

















No comments:

Post a Comment