Peyton Henry was born on March 22, 2013 at 8:20am. He
weighed 8 lbs, 1 oz and was 20 in long. He was definitely ready to get into
this world in a hurry! Here’s the long version of the week of his birth.
{Week
of his birth}
The week before he was born the midwife checked me and I was
2cm dilated and my cervix was soft. Of course this kind of means nothing with a
third pregnancy but it was the most I’d ever dilated on my own since I was
induced early (for blood pressure issues) with other two pregnancies. The plan
in place for labor was to drop the kids off at our friend Kerry’s house if
Jarid’s parents weren’t already in town. Bags were packed, checklists were made
and things were all a “go” for his arrival. Jarid’s parents (Bill and Teresa to
me; Sugar and Papa to the kids) decided to come a few days early based on my
progress. We are so glad they did!
They left Texas on Monday morning (and it snowed here –
crazy!) Tuesday we went to our friend’s house for preschool (a lesson on
Spring…a day after the snow. Ha) and they arrived Tuesday night. I got home
from my chiropractor appt and the grocery store and they were already here!
Wednesday we mostly hung around the house after their long drives the days
before and we took a nice long walk outside with some warmer weather. Thursday
we took the kids to the mall to play in the playground and get out and about.
Beyond all that walking I did a lot of “tailor sitting” as it’s called in
Bradley birth classes to help get baby settled in the right place but not much
else to get labor started. We ate a yummy dinner of chicken pot pie (and made a
double batch to freeze!) and watched a movie all together.
That night Morgan asked when baby Peyton would get here
since it was Spring and I’d told her that’s when he’d arrive. I said she should
just ask him so she asked my tummy “Baby Peyton? When are you coming out??” She
listened for a minute and said “He said tomorrow” very matter-of-factly and we
all laughed about how funny it would be if she was right. Jarid and I went to
bed around midnight as usual.
{Birth
day}
At 5:30am I woke up with a contraction. It was noticeable
enough to wake me up but not painful enough to think much of it. What felt like
10 mins later I got another so I decided I might want to pay attention to the
time a bit. After an hour of contrax 10 mins apart and just breathing through
them in bed (my preferred way of laboring for sure – dark, quiet and laying
down by myself!) I knew I should figure out how long they were. I was using my
timer on my phone and I definitely noticed myself being more “frazzled” by the
having to press the start button on the timer instead of just going into my
“zone.” I timed two of them and they were about 45-50 secs long, 10 mins apart.
This was 7am so I woke up Jarid to tell him he should cancel all the meetings
he had planned for the day because this might be it. I still wasn’t 100% sure
because the contractions weren’t really painful yet and I’d never had them this
far apart before so I thought maybe it would die out.
I got up and started putting the last minute things from our
room in the bag just in case this was it and only needing to stop and breathe
through the contractions but otherwise feeling normal. About 7:45 I checked the
time right after a contraction and then again at the beginning of another and
realized they were about 5 minutes apart. I asked Jarid to make me a turkey
sandwich and said we should get going. We gave the kids and his parents hugs
and kisses goodbye and it was such a laid back goodbye it makes me laugh
thinking about it now! Ha.
The hospital is about 15 mins away and it was morning
traffic but it wasn’t bad. In the car during a contraction I would hold onto
the car handle, close my eyes and breathe through them quietly. The midwife
called back from paging her earlier and Jarid talked to her and told her I
couldn’t talk but we were headed in. I noticed they were more like 3 mins apart
at some point and then I needed to start making low humming type noises to get
through the contractions. I didn’t see it but I heard Jarid put on the hazards
and definitely felt him driving faster – he knew those noises meant business!
We pulled up to the Birthing Inn at the hospital and he let
me out and went to park. Inside there was no one at reception and Jarid asked
had I seen anyone when he got in. I said “let’s just go!” and we went around to
triage and I told him to just open the door. He said it was locked and pressed
the button and told them who we were and we were in labor. She said “ok, come
in and have a seat” – I was thinking “yea right!” So Jarid put the bags on the
seat while I walked through contractions. He poked his head around and yelled
out “We have babies fast!” so a nurse came over and said she wanted me to get
into a triage room, change clothes and have my cervix checked. Again I was
thinking “yea right” or maybe “no way!” They got me a hospital gown but even in
the middle of the chaos I told Jarid I wanted my own gown so he ran over to our
bags and the nurse put it on me (she put it on sideways but I didn’t realize it
til way later – ha!) and I still had my yoga pants and shoes on.
They were talking to us and asking questions but I couldn’t
answer and finally just yelled out to Jarid to “hold me!” and I wanted to put
my arms around his neck, sway from side to side and just breathe. That happened
twice within a few mins and I knew this baby was about to come out. I yelled
out “I’m pushing!” (why do I always seem to do this in birth – I’ve yelled that
every time before everyone realizes it’s “time”!) The sweetest nurse just took
my hand and said “let’s go now.” She walked me down the hall to a room – she
later said she probably should have gotten me a wheelchair but knew we needed
to move – and started yelling out that they needed a table right then….and a
doctor since my midwife wasn’t there yet.
We got to the room and I told them something was most
definitely hanging outside of my body from the walk over. I might have yelled
at them to take my pants off NOW. Jarid got them off and they confirmed my bag
of waters was intact and hanging out. During all this other nurses were
swarming the room and asking questions like “what is your name?” “who is your
doctor?” “how far along are you?” “any issues in your pregnancy?” because they
were not prepared for me whatsoever since I’d only called my midwife 30 mins
before.
The nurse said “Ok, Christy as soon as you are ready lay
down and you’re going to have a baby.” I remember thinking that it was going to
be very difficult to lay down but definitely was ready to get the baby out so I
did. The OB asked me to pull back my legs and I told her “no!” because it
didn’t seem possible to do that at that point. Jarid says he started to help me
pull them back but things started happening too quickly. Immediately she said
something about him crowning and told me to bear down and Peyton Henry was born
into the world! One of the nurses called out “It’s 8:20!” which was good
because the OB asked later if anyone got the time.
He came right to my chest and was completely purple but
started crying after a few seconds. He looked just like Morgan and Owen did –
it’s amazing how much they all looked alike! He did have a bit of a “cone head”
from being born so quickly. The nurse took him over to the other side of the
room after awhile to get his stats while the OB stitched me as the midwife
still wasn’t there seeing as we’d only been there about 15 mins or so at this
point. He weighed 8lbs, 1 oz and was 20 in long – our biggest baby yet! They
put his footprints on a card and Jarid stayed by him most of the time just
talking to him and looking at him.
A nurse came towards me with a needle and said something
about me not liking this part. I asked what it was and she said it was pitocin
to help prevent hemorrhaging from the uterus. I told her I didn’t want it and
she just looked around at the other nurses and the OB and asked “can she do
that?” The OB wasn’t pleased with this and said that “the midwives sometimes
let them do that” as if I was being a difficult patient. Ha. Oh well. She went
away without putting anything into me – I didn’t have a natural birth to be
shot full of something I didn’t need!
The midwife came in and said congratulations and talked
about how she’d already heard about the crazy birth. Hee hee. She assisted with
the stitching while I filled in all the blanks for the nurses who still hadn’t
officially admitted me – answering all their questions, ect. The main nurse who
walked me over kept giggling over the details of the birth and talking about
them.
The midwife massaged my uterus and then the placenta was
delivered. That part always feels like a relief to me – like “ahhhh, it’s all
out!!” Everyone left and we had some time with our new baby. We said a family
prayer together and felt so thankful for our new baby boy! We got moved to a
post-partum room a few hours later because every single room was filled. A baby
boom apparently!
Jarid’s parents brought the kids up later and they’d let
them pick out a “little brother” outfit and a toy. They were so proud to give
it to him and they couldn’t get enough of touching and holding him. Oh, it was
so awesome to see them with him.
{Hospital
experience}
The hospital experience was definitely not a birthing center
one but it was still good. The nurses were all nice and respectful of our decisions
(no one made a face when declined vax or the gunk on the eyes or circumcision)
and worked hard to get us out within 24 hrs like we wanted. They switched to a
computerized system the night we were there so there was some “chaos” for them
as they all learned the new program which delayed getting out earlier but we
still were able to make our pediatrician appt that day. We did NOT want to stay
2 days that’s for sure!
Sleep is definitely not easy at the hospital. At all. Crying
babies, nurses coming in what seems like every 30 mins, loud beds and chairs.
We didn’t sleep much between the three of us just from not being able to get
comfortable. When we came home and took an hour nap and I swear I got more rest
in that hour in my own bed then I did the entire time at the hospital!
{Home}
When we came home Morgan and Owen (and some help from Sugar
and Papa!) made Peyton some Happy Birthday cupcakes! They made a sweet “Welcome
to our family!” poster. They were so proud of both and it was just so sweet.
Since we’ve been home things have gone so smoothly – the kids just love holding
baby P and haven’t had any jealousy issues at all. So thankful they are so in
love with him! We’ve all just been taking turns holding him since no one ever
wants to put him down – exactly how it should be with a newborn!
{Peyton}
He makes the sweetest little baby noises, loves snuggling
with us and is very alert already when he is awake. He has the softest skin and
tiniest little toes and hands. He still has a bit of swelling and a hemorrhage
on his left eye from a fast delivery but it’s healing. He looks so much like Morgan and Owen when they were born; he's obviously a Cottrell! He loves his tiny hands by his face and is already a fan of trying to find his fingers to suck on. Pretty much – he’s
perfect and we could just eat him up! Our family feels complete with him. We’re
so thankful for our sweet baby boy.
{note: we don't have many "day of" pics seeing as we walked into the hospital and had the baby. All of our bags - including the camera - were in the hall near triage still. Ha. Most of the pics are from my phone which Jarid had only b/c he'd called the midwife from it!}
| night before he was born - 38wks, 4days |
| He's here! |
| daddy and son |
| first family pic - kids can't get enough of the baby! |
| Sugar helps Morgan hold baby Peyton |
| Headed home! |
| We're here!! |

I LOVE birth stories!! It always makes me want another! Your experience sounds so much like mine with Samuel. We, too, got admitted while holding our baby. Must be a Jackson thing ; )
ReplyDeleteCongrats, guys. He is beautiful! Can't wait to meet him!!
Love you all!