Thursday, April 19, 2012

The little red schoolhouse

Homeschooling. It's kind of a loaded word, right? Well, it's a word that's going to be tossed around a lot more from this mommy. There are several reasons we have decided to homeschool for pre-school at minimum. If we stay in this house our options are public school in a not great school district, private school which is quite a chunk of change or homeschooling. I'm capable and most of all I'm up for it.

I get the "when is Morgan going to start pre-school" question at least once a week (by well meaning or curious friends/family.) Truth is, I don't want to send her to pre-school. I'm not ready to have her leave just yet for several hours a day. And honestly I don't want someone else getting to watch her eyes get wide when she figures something out or squeal in excitment when she gets to use glue or glitter.

We've done lots of learning projects over the past 1.5 yrs (since she's been old enough to do them!) but here is one from today. A friend of mine did this with her kiddos. I cut out different types of food from grocery ads and made two posters. One was "green light" foods for healthy and growing foods. The other was "yellow light" foods for those you eat in moderation and only after eating dinner. Of course, I made sure there were much more green light food so she knows there are always healthy, delicious options out there for us.

We had fun and she was really good at figuring out what food went where. She *did* want to put more items on the yellow paper b/c it wasn't as full as the green though. Ha.

Let the learning begin...(ok, well, continue...)




No comments:

Post a Comment